Whiteface CISD History
On April 5, 1921, the Hockley County Commissioners Court created school Districts No.3 and No.5 in Cochran County. School District No.5 later became the Lehman/Whiteface School District.
The first school building in Whiteface was built by rancher, J. C. Whaley in 1925. It was a one-room schoolhouse to be used for the school year beginning in September, 1925. That same year a $60,000.00 bond issue was voted by the Whiteface/Lehman School District for the purpose of building a $30,000.00 brick school building in each community. The bid from Miller & Rogers of Levelland for $23,628.00 was accepted. Architect was G. S. Glenn of Littlefield. A red brick building was built in Whiteface with only elementary students attending. On July 10, 1926, Mr. J. W. Hood was hired to head up the school in Whiteface beginning in September, 1926. The principal of the Whiteface School was given permission to move into the new building with heat, lights, and water furnished free.
In 1928, the Lehman/Whiteface Schools were separated and Whiteface became District No.8. Both were Common School Districts. On February 9, 1929, Whiteface applied to become a 3rd high school and was declared as such.
On July 1, 1935, the Cobleland School was officially consolidated with Whiteface, effective the fall of 1935. The Boydell Common School District #1 was annexed to Whiteface that same year. On August 14, 1935, Whiteface Common School District No.8 became Whiteface Independent School District. The Cobleland red brick school building was torn down and brought into Whiteface to be used as an addition to the existing red brick building.
In 1945, a bond issue was voted for a new building program including a cafeteria. On November 26, 1945, the board met to open the contracts. Building contract went to W. L. Scott. Architects for the building project were Haynes & Strange. On this day, November 26, 1945, after the board meeting, the president of the board, H. D. "Preacher" Read, was killed in a car accident in front of his home.
The first oil & mineral revenues were received by the school district in 1946. The total amount of the revenues was $90,000.00. The school district also received $50.00 for each hole drilled. In 1948 Lehman consolidated with the Whiteface Independent School District. Also in 1948, the first football stadium was built with the lighting purchased from General Electric Corporation. The first library was also added to the school in 1948.
In 1949, Girlstown U.S.A. was established on the old Duggan headquarters which would add students to Whiteface Schools. In 1949 vocational agriculture was added to the curriculum.
In 1952 an elementary school and gymnasium were completed by contractors Avery-Pierce & Norton. The gymnasium is still being used for high school and junior high basketball, volleyball, and P. E..
On June 18, 1962 the election returns to abolish the dual school system were accepted. The board voted to proceed with integration plans immediately and prepare to accept negro students in high school beginning with the fall term of 1962. In 1965 the colored school was sold to Whiteface Cooperative Inc.
Pep ISD consolidated with Whiteface ISD in August of 1978. At that time Whiteface Independent School District became Whiteface Consolidated Independent School District. In 1979 the old elementary school was torn down and a new elementary school was constructed including a new cafeteria. Architects were Huckabee & Donham, contractor was Pharr Construction. In 1985, Phase I of a new high school facility was completed including the office of the superintendent and the tax collector. Phase II of the construction, which included a swimming pool and gymnasium was completed in July of 1986.
Whiteface Consolidated Independent School District evolved from a one-room schoolhouse in 1925 to a 10 million dollar educational facility in 1986. As with all other communities and schools, Whiteface went through war times, the depression days and natural disasters. On April 17, 1970, a tornado ripped through the city of Whiteface with its major force hitting the high school auditorium. The senior play was in progress at the time with over 200 people in attendance. There were several injuries with one of the most severe injuries to the school superintendent, R. K. McCoy. The damage to the school buildings ran into thousands of dollars. School was dismissed for one week while volunteers cleaned up the debris and readied the buildings to resume classes. With the oil boom era in 1946, the rise in evaluation made it possible for Whiteface Schools to establish and continue to improve the facilities and educational standards.
The superintendents of the school have made the system one of the finest educational systems in the state of Texas. Below is a list of the men who have served as the leaders of the Whiteface Schools since its beginning in 1926:
- 1926 E. J. Hood
- 1927 Joe Owens
- 1928-31 J. W. Turner
- 1931-33 R. H. McCasland
- 1933-35 Clyde Gee
- 1935-37 Jessee Leverett
- 1937-43 P. 0. Smith
- 1943-47 Ben L.Graham
- 1947-50 H. P. Clemmons
- 1950-55 Noah Cunningham
- 1955-58 Nathan Tubb
- 1958-63 W. A. Skinner
- 1963-68 James Cunningham
- 1968-71. R. K. McCoy
- 1971-74 R. K. Sams
- 1974-76 Richard Souter
- 1976-89 Robert Smotherman (Deceased April 29, 1989)
- 1989-2002 David G. Foote
- 2002- Elbert Wuthrich